The Universe is Funny - Fruit Magazine

 

The Universe is Funny

Hunor Traian Deak
Nov 17 · 4 min read
Image for post

The Universe is funny,

Don’t you believe it?

It exists,

Yet scientists are not sure of it.

The Earth is big yet so tiny in the sky,

The stars above of us certainly shine bright,

Yet it is the brightness of the past,

When the Moon falls and the stars are chased away,

The Dawn has came and it is here to stay.

Its colours dance across the sky, from the strange pink light,

To the burnt orange of sighs as the golden globe herself rises.

Suddenly, the sky is all too blue,

With dancing clouds on the horizon,

White as the apron of the breakfast table,

The green of the grass reflects in the sky blue contrast,

As the lakes bellow the mountain reflect the Royal Blue of the sky,

The day passes us by, with some lunch brought out in hindsight,

As after a refreshing shower, the sunset has come by.

Dusk is upon us with the same burnt orange colour,

The sun saying her goodbyes to us weary travellers.

I wonder into the house as I switch the lights on.

But I change my mind in the last minute, but,

But I still have my dinner.

The jacket is on,

Again to a similar colour of the burnt orange of the dusk.

Lights off, I had out, to an evening walk under the night sky.

The sun is gone, the stars are back,

It is a thing to no one objects,

Far away from the lights of civilization,

The Moon’s light guides my steps,

As I look up on the universe,

Above me the Milkyway beckons,

With the Pillars of Creation reaching into the darkness,

The speckled sky is full of wonder,

As suddenly, my mind wanders:

The men of old, the men of past,

Who thought about the sky,

The great generals, statesmen, artists and singers of Pop,

Were they nothing, like in the Ocean, just a drop?

What were they worth?

Did they matter at all?

I look upon the sky, the mighty sky,

Undisturbed by the man of light.

The might of it just overwhelms me,

As I just blink, and blink at it.

As Carl Sagan once said:

“The Earth is just a blue dot in the night sky,

Embraced by the burnt orange hue of the sun.

We are strange travellers,

Inflicting epic cruelties upon each other,

Oh how I wish we were kinder to one another!”

That slips a wee smile on my face as I remember David Hume:

“The life of man,

Is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster.”

But at the same time it gets into conflict with another quote:

“How does it happen,

How do we know,

Who sits and watches

Who does the show?

Some people love to lead

And some refuse to dance.

Some play it safely, other take a chance.

Still it’s all a mystery

This place we call the world

Where most live as oysters

While some become pearls.”

As said by Jimmy Buffett,

It is hard to believe,

This man wrote as much wisdom, as drunk drivel!

To my grate shame, I start humming Margaritaville,

As I wish for a beach house on the Moon.

But time passes, as it is an inevitability.

Its arrow travels forward,

Neither stopping nor reversing.

It is such a shame…

Image for post

I can feel the chill,

As a gust of wind hits my back,

It plays with the branches and leaves of the dark forest.

How late is it?

An owl hoots into the night,

As I begin to head back.

I walk back on the same path as I approach the lights of humanity.

The sky takes on a lighter colour,

Is it dawn already?

I sit on the roof of my house,

Contemplating past lives,

As I welcome the rising Sun,

I can see, with a spring in his step, the mailman arrive.

Image for post

Inspired by Carl Sagan, the Scottish Enlightenment, Jimmy Buffett, the Netflix show Bojack Horseman and an evening walk to Arbirlot.

Here you can read the amazing speech given by Carl Sagan on Earth, the Voyager probes and our place in the universe:

https://www.planetary.org/explore/space-topics/earth/pale-blue-dot.html

Daily Poetry Meg

Fill it to the rim with Poetry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scottish Geology Trust inspires Angus man to lay foundation for society celebrating Tayside landscape - Hunor Deak

An Introduction…

The Scottish Enlightenment and Geology